Teddy McDonald began his professional art career just over a decade ago. Self-represented and bursting with conviction the artist quickly attracted the attention of notable international collectors who embraced his work and straight-talking, engaging personality.
In 2015, Ed Sheeran played the artist's 'Green T' Stratocaster on most nights of his Multiply world tour and he was discovered and commissioned by Italian Industrialist, FIAT heir and art collector Lapo Elkann, someone the artist now considers a long term supporter and friend.
Independent of the London 'art world' and 'Britart' scene, British GQ magazine profiled McDonald as 'The Artist to Watch' in 2016. He responded by becoming the first contemporary artist to create a painting with members of the British royal family. Shortly thereafter, McDonald's work was praised by US fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger and Ferrari's design director Flavio Manzoni and the artist followed up his royal collaboration by launching a Range Rover Autobiography art car profiled alongside the latest BMW art car in a publication for Art Basal Miami.
The artist's figurative paintings of athletic female forms echo sentiments contained within 'Notes of a Painter'  by Henri Matisse depicting the female body by means of its essential lines. Elsewhere, McDonald's paintings of flowers and seascapes express his connection to nature and his works featuring water pots and olive jars display an interest in living a simple, earthy and uncluttered lifestyle. The common thread amongst all McDonald's work is the relationship between colour, line and form expressed with confidence and clarity.
McDonald's work is held in private art collections in the USA, Italy, UAE and to a significantly smaller extent in the UK. Notably, his work can be found alongside original works by contemporary art masters including Jean-Michel Basquiat, Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein and has been acquired by Ferrari S.p.A and commissioned by luxury brands including Rolls-Royce Motor Cars London and Dick Lovett Ferrari. McDonald has also appeared as a guest on Sky News discussing contemporary art and as a commentator for the live broadcast of the royal wedding of HRH Princess Eugenie.
The artist is based in the Cotswolds, UK. He does not currently have an Instagram, Facebook or Twitter account.
Selected TimelineExhibitions, Events, Commissions
- Currently in the planning stage
- Solo Exhibition, 'Strong is Beautiful' [Viewing Room]
All events cancelled due to Covid-19 including,
- Group Exhibit, Museum of Zoology, Cambridge University
- British motorsport project
- Sky News guest commentator for Royal Wedding of Princess Eugenie
- Sky News studio providing commentary on contemporary art feature
- Commission for the Royal Agricultural University
- Launch of Range Rover Art Car
- Commission for Rolls-Royce Motor Cars London
- Ed Sheeran headlines Glastonbury Festival with 'Crash x Teddy M' Stratocaster
- Commission for Kenton Cool, 14 x Mount Everest summit climber
- GQ magazine profile, 'The Artist to Watch'
- Ed Sheeran plays 'Crash x Teddy M' guitar extensively on Divide world tour
- Collaborative painting with members of British royal family
- GQ.co.uk exclusive for 'Royal Love'
- People magazine US exclusive for 'Royal Love'
- Masterpiece London, exhibition of 'Royal Love'
- Solo Exhibition, Chelsea Harbour Hotel, London
- GQ magazine full page feature 'Crash x Teddy M' Stratocaster
- Ed Sheeran debuts 'Crash x Teddy M' Stratocaster at Wembley Stadium
- Ed Sheeran plays 'Green T' Stratocaster on Multiply world tour
- Commission for Lapo Elkann
- Commission for official Ferrari dealer, Dick Lovett UK
- 'Yum Yum' exhibited by GQ at Vogue House, London
- Solo Exhibition, Retail Design Collective, New York City
- Commission for Lindsay Lohan & Mike Lohan Jnr
- Commission for Sharron Davies MBE
- Solo Exhibition, Dick Lovett Ferrari, UK
- Commission for Dick Lovett Ferrari, UK
- Mixed Media Portrait of 'Eric Clapton' approved for sale by Eric Clapton
- Charlotte Casiraghi threatens legal action over Mixed Media Portrait
In Press & MediaMcDonald has been featured by
Sky News | People magazine | British GQ | E! News | Tatler | Blouin Art Info | Hello! | BBC Radio | EricClapton.com